Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Scratch

Neo had a fresh scratch on his face, the yaya reported when they fetched me from work. If Neo were some months old I would have my usual silly "praning" attack. I remember those times whenever his head would bang on walls, on his crib or anywhere else, I would also bang my head on the exact same spot to test if the impact really hurt him or I just wanted to inflict the same pain he had on myself. Val would just laugh at me and remark how silly/stupid I am. Later on, I somehow managed to relax. I know that this latest scratch will heal and it will be just one of the many little mishaps he will experience as he gets bigger and older.

When we celebrated his first birthday last week, I was partly sad. I felt that this milestone, although a very grand one, is the demarcation line from being a baby and becoming a boy. I miss him as a baby. I came across a poem that best describes how I feel on Neo's growing up.

My Baby Boy and Me
its 3 am they're all asleep
and no one's here to see
as we rock slowly back and forth
my baby boy and me
his little head is feather light
tucked up against my chin
i hold his tiny hand in mine
and stroke his baby skin
the house about us creaks and groans
the clock hands creep around
he snuggles closer to me still
and makes his baby sounds
i love these quiet hours so much
and cherish every one
store memories up inside my heart
for lonely nights to come
all too soon he'll be grown up
his need for mommy gone
but until then i still have time
for kisses and for songs divine
time for quiet hours like this
with him cuddled in my arms
where i wish he'd always stay
protected safe and warm
and yet i know the day will come
when this tiny little hand
will be much bigger than my own
but until then he's mine to love
with no one here to see
as we rock slowly back and forth
my baby boy and me.~ Jane Triplett ~

No comments: