Saturday, November 22, 2008

The birthday, the preparation, the details

Early on, I mentioned that I might detail our preparations for Neo's first birthday party. I did it! Here goes and read on....

Val and I initially planned to celebrate Neo’s first birthday with just a quiet lunch or dinner with immediate family. And then we realized, what are we thinking! First birthday parties are grand occasions and we don't want our son to miss having one. And so, plan we did. Contrary to the usual fun fare of kiddie parties with clowns, mascots and games, we wanted ours to be fun and simple, special and personal, attended by family and the closest of friends. Much of a thanksgiving party for a wonderful year and a simple kick-off to the next.

The theme

Like every party, there should be a theme. Neo’s birthday party should have a theme! We have toyed and considered several character themes like Baby Einstein, Barnyard, the Matrix, Finding Nemo (to be changed to Finding NEO), etc. but nothing among them we liked. We wanted Neo’s to be original, no movie or cartoon characters for him yet. Eventually, I conceived the idea of NEO is ONE , O – N – E scrambled to N – E – O. We asked a special favor from Tina Dominguez, a graphic artist from Ritzie's office, to design on what will be the "birthday ID". And then I chose the blue-green color combination.

The venue

CLUB CAFÉ, Makati Sports Club, L.P. Leviste cor. Gallardo Sts., Salcedo Village, Makati City

In August, when my sisters and I watched the play “Cinderella” at the CCP, we had lunch at Harbour Square. I liked the place because of the view and saw that there was an Iceberg restaurant branch in the complex. At that point I said to myself that Neo’s first birthday will be done there. I have inquired on the rates and even initially requested the blocking off of the date. I related our trip to Val and laid my preliminary plans to him. He said that he has yet to see the place before he agrees. But, when we went to Harbour Square two weeks after he did not like it. So back to square one and onwards to our next search.

I have inquired with several restaurants and venues e.g. Fazoli’s (Eastwood), The Old Spaghetti House (Libis), Pizza Hut Bistro (Libis), Heaven and Eggs (Libis) , the Palladium function room (Pasig), ATV resort (Novaliches) but none satisfied our qualifications.

And then Val inquired rates from Makati Sports Club, Inc. (MSCI). We got a good deal that fitted our budget and the location is neutral to most of our intended guests. So when Val took me to the place for the oculars we have decided to set the venue there. The place is small but appropriate since we only planned to host around 50 to 60 guests.


The invitation


Again, we wanted a different kind of invitation. Something cute, not like the usual square or rectangular-shaped, flip-open versions. Following the NEO is ONE theme and the color combination, Tina laid-out and completed the whole invite with the detailed party information. The invitations, shaped as the #1 showed NEO is ONE on the front cover, the birthday date, and a cute drawing of a birthday cup cake. The back carried the line “JOIN US FOR SOME BIRTHDAY FUN”, the address of MSCI and the time of the lunch party. The back was also decorated with balloons and a single -candled birthday cake. Please note that each invitation was painstakingly cut to the shape of the number! We liked the outcome very much! For the envelopes, I bought blue ones (only light blue and scented available) from National Bookstore. When I ran short, I bought white nalang from Pioneer Center grocery. We started distributing the invites around two weeks before November 8.

The cake, the cupcakes and the cookies











The cake, the mini cake, 15 cupcakes and 15 #1 -shaped cookies were all done by Layers and Layers Cakes by Arlene (11C West Capitol Drive, Pasig City). We placed our orders on as early as October 05 c/o Cherry.

The carrot flavored cake was set in fondant icing with stars and balloon accents. The topper was the NEO is ONE birthday ID and beside it is a baby figure (we have actually instructed for a little boy in jumpers to match the cupcakes). The colors followed the blue and green motif with some touches of yellow.The mini cake was also carrot flavored in fondant. A supposed replica of the main cake.

The cupcakes were chocolate with kid smiling faces toppers.

The cookies were made and shaped as the #1 birthday ID. I ordered a styro stand for good presentation.
the guests
We really wanted a small group of 50. Our very selected list went over 80. The actual attendees reached more than 60.

The birthday poem

I made a poem specially for Neo's birthday. Several versions were drafted and below was the final:
__________________


NEO is ONE
by mommy


years ago I didn’t know you were coming
but in my heart you’re the one I have been yearning
twelve months ago on this same day you came
“papa’s look-alike” was all I can hear them exclaim
in december you were a handful to have
but I never complained because you’re my true love
the new year brought out new things from you
in february taking care of you was all I wanted to do
march came and april too, the days breezed fast,
you were 5 months at last!
we started in may with your first solids and cerelac
june and july with your added “likot”, I still couldn't relax
it was august when I first heard you say “ma- mmie!”
and then in september, we were delighted to play with our one- toothed baby!

and just last month I noticed you have grown so big
with cute little steps and a really strange speech


the months flew fast and it was all so fun
HAPPY BIRTHDAY my baby, my NEO is ONE!

_______________

We printed the copies of the poem in hard paper sheets and placed it in the tables for guest reading.

the get-up



We have personalized two birthday t-shirts for the birthday boy. Tina designed the “Birthday ko Ngayon” shirt and was custom made by Golden Fabric together and the “#1 /NEO jersey” shirt. Val also donned a #1/VAL jersey to match Neo's. Denim pants and socks from the Tektite tiangge and pelican crocs given by Ninang Chris completed Neo's get- up for the day.

the balloons and venue set-up



The metallic blue-green-silver balloon table arrangements, floating balloons for the ceiling, clusters for the stairway and loose balloons with ribbons are works of Jacque Tan - Party Boosters.
We have accentuated the table arrangements with the NEO is ONE cut-outs and clipped it in star wood stands. MSCI dressed up the tables with dark green and royal blue table cloths. The wall trimmings were also in blue and green.
the pinata

We ordered the pinata from LOBO, REGALO, ATBP. A party shop located at Sta. Rosa St., in Kapitolyo. Again, it's design was patterned from the central theme. We filled it with candies and some old simple toys that we seldom see anymore e.g. paper balls, whistles, tops, duratsa, flyingT, slide puzzles, magic cards, jackstones! I collected punched papers from my office and shreded an old magazine to complete the effect when we let lose the pinata.

the favours for kids



teddy bears
I was bargaining teddy bears from a seller in ebay but she won't give it to me at the price I wanted. It was such luck that the same "breed" of bears were being sold in the Tektite tiangge! I bought my required lot at a price much lower! goody good ! I attached NEO is ONE small cut-outs on the tags.

the candy boxes
The boxes were from NOVO store in Cavite. We filled it up with candies bought by Ruthie from the grocery.
the favours for grown-ups


Originally intended as loot bags. But I thought further. The "katsa" totes can be put to practical use by the adults so we made it the give-away for everyone. We inserted a "thank you for coming" card inside. To give a personal touch and added effect, I traced Neo's hand on each card and then Val and I signed too.

The bags were made thru the kind coordination of Tata Ritzie (again) with Chateau Marketing.

the tarpaulin banner
This was a disappointment. First, a friend of Val's volunteered to make it for us. A week before Nov 08, we were advised that it cannot be delivered. Second, Val made a version himself and sent it to a shop in Pioneer Center for rush printing. When we picked it up on the eve of the birthday, we were dismayed that his instructions were not carried out the way he wanted. There was no choice and no time so we settled with this design....

the buffet

Val selected the food combination. On the buffet spread were ......
Appetizer - Mojos with Zesty Garlic Dip
Fish - Fish Foldover (rolled fish with ham and cheese with white sauce)
Chicken - Roast Garlic Chicken with gravy
Pork - Lechon de Leche (Ping-Ping's, a gift from Val's Auntie Lydia)
Pasta - Baked Spaghetti
Vegetables - Sauteed Vegetables with oyster sauce
Dessert - Fresh fruit bowl and a chocolate fountain set-up
Drinks - Only one round of iced tea .We brought in bottles of various flavored C2
The table was set on the terrace of the Club Cafe with a good view of the large swimming pool.


the MTV

Timeline productions was so kind to arrange for us (or Ritzie) an edited compilation of Neo's pictures as he went through his first months. The presentation came complete with music and background works.

But we have a main AVP. Presentation done by Val. Sequence, captions and wordings by me.

Whew! Well, that's about it.Anything I forgot, I will edit and add later.

I would like to thank my sisters who have been very helpful and supportive in the preparations.

No comments: