Thursday, September 3, 2009

He reads! (as if)

I was impressed and surprised with Neo tonight.

Another Jollibee story, hehhe.

Although there's no doubt that he really knows Jollibee when he sees a picture, I didn't expect that he can also recognize and associate the spell-out of the name. While we were goofing around before going to sleep, he pulled out something from the trash and I already saw that it was a box wrapping of Jollibee's tuna pie. The wrappings do not have any picture on it, just colored texts.

With the aim of just testing him, I pointed out the words and then asked, "What does the word say, Neo?"

He stopped for a moment. Shortly looked hard at the words. And then blurted out, "yayibi!" And now, he reads! Hahhahah! Just noticed that the way he said it tonight was closer to the actual sound of the word. Before he would say, "Yabi-yabi".
Again, I made another test. Heheh. To prove my case. I opened Bob the Builder's site on the laptop. The start page did not contain pictures, just the logo. I pointed, "Neo, look, o".
He readily recognized, pointed out on the screen and shouted, "BOB"!
Hahahha! Marunong na magbasa ang anak ko!
_____
Most children begin the process of reading by learning what is called SIGHT WORDS. These are words that are taken as wholes or units. Children learn to recognize these words by sight.

No comments: